Two of Rolex’s signature collections are the Submariner and the day-date Calendar, and the rest of the line is reminiscent of them. The Submariner has won widespread attention and recognition for its durability and relatively low price. The legendary watch began as a tool watch replicas and evolved over 60 years before becoming a classic. Now it is not only used by professional divers but also used by more people as a daily watch. It has even become a fashion item and spawned a culture.
● First generation 1953 Ref.6204
The submarine, commonly known as “water ghost”, was founded in 1953 and is the first watch that is waterproof to 100 meters (330 feet). At that time, it was specially designed for divers, using a Rolex patent oyster-type waterproof case, rotating the outer ring for divers to read the dive time. But the first ones came with something other than the name Submariner. They only appeared on the dial in 1954, and the water resistance was increased to 200 meters.
● Second generation 1959 Ref.5512
By 1959, many changes had occurred in the second generation of water ghosts, profoundly affecting the following generations.
First, the case changes. Watch expanded the diameter of the first generation from 36 mm to 40 mm, a size still used today. The chance increases the shoulder guard, protecting the table from impact and ensuring waterproof performance.
Second, the bezel changes. The recesses on the bezel were moved from the sides to the front, and the watch replicas added a more detailed 15-minute scale to the bezel. This change makes it easier for the diver to adjust the bezel and read the time.
- Again, the hands change. The Mercedes needle replaces the sword needle, and the fluorescent dot, on the other hand, is also moved back. The hands of the Rolex Water Ghost are colloquially known as the “Mercedes Needle” because they resemble the Mercedes-Benz logo. But it has nothing to do with Mercedes Benz. It is made this way because it can better evenly smear and stabilize the luminous paint on it, and it is easier to distinguish the hour and minute hands in the dark to know the exact time.
● The third generation 1969 Ref.1680
The update adds a calendar device and uses a “magnifying glass calendar window”. The brand was patented in the 1950s and first used on Datejust in 1953 to make it easy to read calendars. The original Rolex used acrylic plastic material, which can be molded in one go.
● Fourth generation 1979 Ref.16800
- The Sapphire watch hublot replica lens began to replace the original acrylic plastic table mirror. The iconic magnifying glass calendar window continues, but two sapphires are glued together for technical reasons instead. The shadowless glue makes it difficult to see; the watch replicas can remove the heating table mirror. Waterproof depth also increased from the original 200 meters to 300 meters.
In addition, the dial on the dial increases the metal frame; there is no longer a “plaster face”.
More importantly, it was not until 1981 that the updated Ref.16800 Water Ghost used a “unidirectional rotating bezel”. The previous two generations used a bidirectional rotating bezel, which is better than a one-way rotation. Because the two-way rotating bezel is easy to cause misoperation, which may lead to the divers’ wrong estimation of diving time and depressurization time, thus endangering life. On June 14, 1955, Mr. Jean Jacques Fiechter, then at the helm of the @BLANCPAIN Swiss Watch Maker, submitted his patent application for Fathoms Fifty Fathoms Watch case, number 290989. The case includes a double-seal handle design to ensure the handle is waterproof when pulled out—its rotating digital watch replicas ring, easy for divers to read dive time. Back cover wavy iron ring, increase friction to ensure water resistance. Because of this patent, Rolex didn’t use the superior “one-way rotating bezel” until Popper’s patent expired.
In addition, in this generation, Rolex began to use 904L stainless steel. This stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion than the standard 316L and is more complex and expensive. Rolex first produced a case of this material in 1985. Sea-Dweller was the first Rolex publicly released with a 904L stainless steel case, not the water dweller mentioned in this article.
● The fifth generation 2010 Ref.116610
- Instead of Cerachrom ceramic circles, the previous four generations used anodized aluminum outer rings. Because of the material, the old version of the outer ring is accessible to scratch and wear, and long-term use in the action of ultraviolet light will change color. The color is fading. The new Cerachrom ceramic ring is tough, corrosion-resistant, and scratch-resistant.
- Noctilucent materials have also evolved, replacing older versions’ slightly radioactive tritium noctilucent with blue Chromalight noctilucent. Equally, blue is more persistent and eye-catching than green. Chromalight was first used at DeepSea in 2008 and has since become ubiquitous in Rolex Sports.
- Model:116610 LN
- Case Size:40 MM
- Case Material:316 Grade Stainless Steel
- Bracelet Material:316 Grade Stainless Steel (Oyster)
- Dial Type:Black
- Detailed address: